There are a variety of scholarships to provide financial support for international students. Applicant eligibility and the number recruited vary according to the scholarship. Recruitment information is posted on bulletin boards at the International Affairs Department as well as on this website.
Applicant Eligibility (excluding Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) scholarships)
Applicant should meet all of the conditions below at the time of application.
- Academic ability satisfies the level of the Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students.
Undergraduates and graduate students: 2.3 and above
For grades from Okayama University: ((A+ and A credits x 3) + (B credits x 2) + (C credits x 1) + (F credits x 0)) / number of registered credits
- Applicant should not have repeated a year due to poor academic performance.
- The average monthly remittance to the applicant must be 90,000 yen or less. (Admission fees, tuition fees, etc. are not included)
- The annual income of the financial supporter should be less than ¥5,000,000.
- Applicant is not a recipient of the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) scholarship or Interexchange Association Japan (IAJ), nor a sponsored student of a foreign government.
- Applicant must not be a recipient of any other scholarship (including those in the application process) that is not allowed to be concurrently awarded.
- Applicant who needs financial support to study.
- Applicant who has never been disciplined by Okayama University.
- Applicant should meet any other requirements specified by the sponsor.
- Please note that once you have applied for one scholarship, you may not apply for other scholarships until you know the results of your application.
(This includes scholarships that are in the process of on-campus selection.)
Refer to the “List of Scholarships” and carefully choose one and apply.
(However, you may apply for more than one scholarship if concurrent scholarship payments are allowed under both/all the scholarships’ regulations.)
- Please understand any willfully false statement is sufficient cause for cancellation and return of the scholarship.
1. Scholarships that require recommendation from Okayama University
Apply for the scholarship following the procedure below.
- Pre-register for application through the Pre-Registration Form for Scholarship Application on Okayama University moodle.
For AY2023 Pre-Registration Form for Scholarship Application
For AY2024 Pre-Registration Form for Scholarship Application
✓ You will need an Okadai ID and password to log in to Okayama University moodle.
✓ Once pre-registration is completed, you may apply for a scholarship for the relevant academic year.
✓ You do not have to re-register even if your enrollment status changes after registration is completed or if you will be applying for more than one scholarship, as long as the relevant academic year is the same.
✓ Completing registration once a year is sufficient.
- Check the application guidelines under List of Scholarships.
- Apply for each scholarship by the deadline with the application form “2. Scholarships currently accepting applications” on Okayama University moodle.
- International students who have been nominated for a scholarship will be notified by email by the International Affairs Department.
- Submit application documents, etc. according to the instructions in the notification.
2. Scholarships with instructions to apply directly
For scholarships with instructions to “apply directly,” do not make an application through the university. Make sure to apply directly on your own.
If you are awarded a scholarship for which you have applied directly on your own, please make sure to notify the International Affairs Department.
Scholarship Selection Criteria
Scholarship candidates applying through the university are selected based on “the Scholarship Guidelines for Privately Funded International Students.
Scholarship candidates are selected based on:
- Academic performance
- Grade year
- Personal factors (have they received any disciplinary action, have they violated immigration control laws, have they violated any other rules)
- Whether Scholarship candidates or candidates’ spouses have received any scholarship in the present year and previous year or not.
If you have been recommended for a scholarship, you need to submit a “Pledge” to the International Affairs Department.
Please read all of the information contained in the “Pledge” carefully and sign it.
Signing for a scholarship
When signing for a scholarship, please refer to the following information:
|Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship (Gakushu-Shoureihi)|
|JASSO Scholarship, Other Private Scholarship|
The payday mentioned above is for those who have signed during the specified period. Your scholarship will be not paid unless you have signed. If you cannot sign during the specified period, the payment of the scholarship will be delayed. If you have a reason for delay, please inform to International Affairs Department in advance.